Suriya Sivakumar is an energetic, outstanding and a deserving actor and also an amazing producer.His actual name is Saravanan Sivakumar.
He was born on 23rd in the month of July and in the year 1975 and his zodiac sign is Cancer.
He is 44 years old now & he’ll turn 45 in three months and born place is Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Suriya Sivakumar loves to go on long drives and camps during his leisure time.
|Age||47 years old (in 2023)|
|Date of Birth||23 July 1975|
|Real Name||Saravanan Sivakumar|
|Birthplace||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
Height, Weight & Physical Stats
|Body Measurements||40-32-13 Inches|
|Height||5 ft 7 inches (1.70 m)|
|Weight||72 kg (159 lbs)|
|Shoe Size||10 Inches|
Suriya is a renowned Indian film actor, filmmaker, playback singer, television presenter, distributor and voice artist who mainly recognized for his incredible work in Hindi and Tamil cinemas. Suriya was born in Chennai, Tamil Nadu; India on 23rd July, 1975.
Suriya’s real name is Saravanan Sivakumar. He successfully completed his schooling from St. Bede’s School and PSBB School, Chennai. He earned his bachelors of commerce degree from Loyola College, Chennai. Before entering into film industry, he was working at a local garment exports firm for about 8 months.
In the year 1997, Suriya made his acting debut with the movie titled Nerrukku Ner, produced by Mani Ratnam. It was Mani Ratnam who provided him on-screen name Suriya with the intention of avoiding confusion with an already existing actor in the film industry named Saravanan. Right after his debut movie, a few of his next movies were flopped. In the year 2001, he lastly delivered a megahit in Siddique’s movie Friends. In the same year, he delivered one of his remarkable performances in the movie titled Nandha. Suriya received Tamil Nadu State Filmfare Award under the nomination of Best Actor. He afterwards delivered back to back megahit movies like Mounam Pesiyadhe and Unnai Ninaithu.
In 2004, Suriya won his first Filmfare Award under the category of Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his breathtaking acting in the movie titled Pithamagan. He trailed it with Filmfare Award for the Best Actor for his movie Perazhagan wherein he portrayed a double role. Suriya afterwards appeared in one of the most archetypal movies of Tamil cinema, Ghajini. The movie was very well acclaimed by the audience and was also produced in Hindi version with the same title. Since now, Suriya has delivered a number of megahits. His movie Singham was also reproduced in Hindi. He presently starred in the 3rd part of franchise movie Singham and it grossed around 100 crores at Indian box office making him one of the most recognizable superstars in film industry.
Qualification: Bachelor of Commerce
School: The PSBB Millennium School, Coimbatore
St. Bede’s Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Chennai
College: Loyola College, Chennai
Film: Nerrukku Ner (1997)
Salary: 25-50 crores/film(INR)
Net Worth: $25 million
Family & Relatives
Mother: Lakshmi Sivakumar
Brother: Karthik Sivakumar a.k.a Karthi
Sister: Brindha Sivakumar
Marital Status: Married
Wife: Jyothika (Actress, m.2006-present)
No. of Children: 2
Hobbies: Long driving and camping
Favorite Movie: Iranian films
Favorite Food: Curd rice & pickle, Dosa, Thai cuisine
Favorite Color: Black, White
Facts You Never Knew About Suriya
- Surya was born in a family with a filmy background, his brother; wife and father are all renowned actors.
- Famous director Mani Ratnam passed him the name Suriya, in order to avoid any mix-up of name with actor, Saravanan.
- Suriya initiated his career as a marketing manager in a garment store and worked there for almost three years.
- Suriya’s first salary was 1000 Rupees, from which he gifted a Saree to his mom.
- His character of Nandha in the movie Nandha was considered as a breakthrough role of his career which afterwards earned him a Filmfare Award.
- Suriya together with his wife Jyothika is the originator of Agaram Foundation which supports school dropout kids to assimilate.
- His debut film, Nerrukku Ner (1997), with Vijay, was a big hit, but all his succeeding films did not do well. His first reasonable success was in the movie with Vijay called Friends. But he did not get any big breaks, and his career seemed to be stalled until director Bala approached him for a role in his next venture, Nandha. This was his first solo hit, and Suriya won his first Filmfare award for best actor for this movie. Suriya’s next venture was with Vikraman in the movie Unnai Ninathu, and the movie was able to record good collections. This was followed by Mounam Pesiyadhe, which also did decently well. Suriya’s second blockbuster was Kaakha Kaakha, a movie about the life of a police officer. This movie raised the profile of Suriya tremendously and made him a huge star overnight. This was also the movie that fueled intense speculation about his relationship with fellow co-star Jyothika. This was due in part to the strong screenchemistry shared by both of them. Also, Pithamagan alongside Vikram was a big hit, in which Surya was appreciated for playing a happy-go-lucky village guy and thus proving his skills as a comedian too. In the movie Perazhagan, Suriya acted in two roles, one as a boxer and the other as a handicapped but confident phone booth keeper. His role as the handicapped man was praised by critics, and he received a Filmfare Award for Best Actor for his performance. His role in Aayitha Ezhuthu as a student leader was also favoured by the critics. In 2005, Surya delivered more successful films in the form of Aaru and Ghajini; afterwards, he set up a production company called Studio Green along with his cousin K.E. Ganavelraja. Ghajini was one of the most sensational hits of 2005, with Suriya playing a short-term memory loss patient, for which he even tonsured his head. The film was his third blockbuster and grossed over Rs. 200 million at the box office. By then, the trade was comparing him to long-established actors such as Vikram, Vijay, and Ajith. Suriya’s 2006 release is Sillunu Oru Kaadhal. He acted opposite his real-life partner, Jyothika, in the film. The film was an average grosser. In 2007, Suriya’s solitary release was Vel, where he was paired with Asin Thottumkal. The film became a hit at the box office. From here, he started doing movies for all A, B, and C centers’ audiences. In 2008, he appeared in Vaaranam Aayiram, directed by Gautham Menon. He won several awards. Suriya played a son and a father, with ages ranging from 17 to 75 years. His next film, Ayan, in 2009, was directed by K. V. Anand and went on to become the highest grosser of that year in Tamil Nadu. He played the role of a smuggler. His next release was Aadhavan, directed by K. S. Ravikumar. In 2010, he had his 25th release with Singam, directed by Hari, in which he played the role of a police officer. He made his Bollywood debut in Ram Gopal Varma’s two-part political drama Rakta Charitra. Suriya was named as the official host of the new game show to be presented on STAR Vijay, Neengalum Vellalam Oru Kodi, the Tamil version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, which began airing on February 27 and ended on July 12, 2012. His next film was Singam II, a sequel to his 2010 film Singam, that got released on July 5, 2013. The film received a positive response from critics and had a huge opening. Suriya was once again acclaimed for his portrayal of Durai Singam, and his performance was hailed as “the film’s backbone.”
- Suriya has been the ambassador for TVS Motor, Aircel, and Sunfeast since 2006. He has endorsed Saravana Stores, Bharathi Cements, and Emami Navaratna products since 2010. In 2011, he had signed a new deal with Nescafé, Zandu Balm, and the Close-Up (toothpaste) brand as of May 2011. As of 2012, Suriya had endorsed the leading jewellery group, Malabar Gold.
- Works In 2008, Suriya began the Agaram Foundation, working to help children who drop out of school early in Tamil Nadu. With the Ministry of Education in Tamil Nadu, he created a short commercial video outlining child poverty, labor, and lack of education, titled “Herova?” or “Zerova?” The film was written and produced by Sivakumar and also starred Joseph Vijay, R. Madhavan, and Jyothika. Agaram sponsored 159 underprivileged students in 2010 for their higher education in various disciplines. With the firm belief that an educated mind can not only eliminate social evils but also aid in the socio-economic upbringing of society, the Agaram Foundation works towards providing appropriate learning opportunities to the rural populace who do not otherwise have access to quality education. Suriya, along with his father and brother, has also extended help towards the education of Sri Lankan Tamil children on behalf of the Sivakumar Charitable Trust. He is also an active participant in other philanthropic works such as the “Save The Tigers” campaign, which aids in the protection and preservation of tigers in India, and a non-profit organisation that cures TB patients for free using supervised medication programs. The actor celebrates every birthday by doing charity work across Tamil Nadu.