Paras S Porwal was a well-known Indian Mumbai-based real estate developer. He came into the limelight on 20 October 2022 when he died by committing suicide by jumping from his 23rd-floor flat in a Chinchpokli tower in South Mumbai where he lived with his family. According to the police report and his suicide note, Paras S Porwal took extreme step as he was suffering huge financial losses in his many business projects.
|Real name/Full name||Paras Shantilal Porwal|
|Known for||Being a renowned real estate businessman of Mumbai|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Date of Birth||Year, 1965|
|Date of Death||20 October 2022|
|Place of Death||Shantikamal Cooperative Housing Society in South Mumbai, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||57 Years|
|Controversy||He was accused of a real estate scam in 2018 in Mumbai.|
|Address||Shantikamal Cooperative Housing Society in South Mumbai, India|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Marrie|
|Parents||Father– Name Not Known
Mother– Shanti Devi
|Siblings||He has a sister.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Paras Porwal
- Paras S Porwal was a well-known Indian Mumbai-based real estate developer. He came into the limelight on 20 October 2022 when he died by committing suicide by jumping from his 23rd-floor flat in a Chinchpokli tower in South Mumbai where he lived with his family. According to the police report and his suicide note, Paras S Porwal took extreme step as he was suffering huge financial losses in his many business projects.
- Soon after his death, an accidental death report (ADR) was registered at the Kalachowkie police station. Reportedly, his body was found lying in a pool of blood and was discovered by a priest of a temple, which is built inside the premises of the building. This building was constructed and owned by Paras S Porwal’s owned company Om Shanti Universal Private Ltd.
- According to Mumbai police, Paras S Porwal penned a suicide note before dying. The police found a suicide note from the gymnasium in his house. In the note, Porwal did not blame anyone for his death. The police also confirmed that the suicide note was written in his diary in Gujarati and Hindi languages, and Porwal used multiple pages to pen his feelings. The police said,
- The police added that Paras S Porwal was declared dead soon after reaching the nearby hospital. Police said,
- Many noted Indian politicians such as Kalidas Kolambkar from BJP, Ajay Chaudhari and Dagadu Sakpal from Uddhav Thackeray-led Shivsena from Maharashtra state attended his funeral.
- Paras S Porwal was born and grew up in Jalore in Rajasthan. In the early 1980s, he moved to Mumbai as a migrant and began living in a chawl in Ambewadi in Kalachowkie along with his sister’s family. Pramod Jathar, a BJP secretary and ex-MLA from the Kankavli assembly constituency, stated in a media conversation that Paras S Porwal used to sell imitation jewellery in the initial years of his career in trains and used to sleep outside the shops in the Kalachowkie area. Pramod Jathar was Porwal’s partner in some redevelopment projects in Central Mumbai. Pramod Jathar recalled,
- Later, Paras S Porwal started selling plots in Mumbai. He then tried his hands in the construction business by providing flooring tiles to other developers at the beginning of his career. His big breakthrough came when he received the big redevelopment project named the Bawalawadi Redevelopment Project opposite Voltas Tower in Parel in 1998-99. This project was provided to him by Paras Gundecha. During this time, he used to live in the Balewadi Chawls. Pramod Jathar said,
- According to Pramod Jathar, the state government made several amendments to the Development Control Regulations, which permitted the redevelopment of BMC-owned old buildings in the 1990s. Paras S Porwal and Pramod Jathar were then associated with the BMC Improvements committee then. Some of the big redevelopment projects undertaken by Porwal under his company included Kach Kharkhana in Wadala and Prerna Society redevelopment on Sasmira Institute Road in Worli Naka.
- An industry source stated in a media talk that Paras S Porwal used to take initial consent from the tenants in redevelopment projects and approvals from the BMC. After obtaining such approvals, he used to sell the project to a bigger player, for instance, Porwal once sold the Prerna Society redevelopment project to Sugee Developers, and then, Porwal left the project.
- According to his family members, Paras S Porwal was a follower of Shantisuri Maharaj, a Rajasthan-based saint. Porwal named his all construction companies after the name of his master. Om Shanti and other buildings that he had redeveloped were named after his guru.
- Paras S Porwal has an office situated in Byculla east in Mumbai, and this office has more than fifty employees. One of his employees stated in a media conversation that Porwal was working on many projects in Mumbai city. The employee said,
- Paras S Porwal was known for his frequent generous philanthropic activities and donations to various religious mandals, especially during the festival seasons in India. According to his employees, Porwal was a very helpful person who used to donate a considerable sum to Ganpati and Navratrotsav Mandals on yearly basis. He founded a charitable trust named Paras Porwal Charitable Trust in 2016, which used to help and feed needy people.
- A well-known politician from the Thackeray-led Sena party, Baba Jadhav talked about the life story of Porwal and considered it “a rags-to-riches story.” Jadhav said that Porwal began his career as a real estate agent and developed a huge business empire Om Shanti Group with the passage of time. Later, Paras S Porwal started many subsidiaries and branches of his company.
- In 2004, Paras S Porwal contested the assembly elections from the Mazgaon assembly constituency on the ticket of the Samajwadi Party. However, he lost the election to his opponent, Bala Nandgaonkar who later joined Raj Thackeray’s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena. During these elections, two candidates were contesting for the Mazgaon assembly constituency Nandgaonkar (Shiv Sena) and Chhagan Bhujbal’s son Pankaj from the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP). According to election results, Paras S Porwal stood in the third position with 7,888 votes.
- According to some media sources, Paras S Porwal is known for some of his successful redevelopment projects on municipal plots such as Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) projects in Mumbai. He was in charge of his twenty-three real estate companies, and his son Ronnie was associated with ten of these companies.
- In 2018, Paras S Porwal was booked by the Mumbai police in a slum redevelopment scam. He was charged by the Bombay High Court in a fraud and cheating case. High Court stated that Porwal listed sixty-two fake companies in the Gandhi Nagar project in Worli, Mumbai so that he could claim extra Floor Space Index from the government. 
- According to Mumbai police, Paras S Porwal mentioned the names of his family members in his suicide note and left messages for all of them. He warned his wife and children about the risks related to the SRA projects. Porwal also advised them to choose private development projects in the future. Paras S Porwal penned that no one was responsible for his suicide and no one should be questioned about his death. Reportedly, Porwal was working on an SRA project at Jijamata Nagar at Worli at the time of his death.