Memphis Depay, also known simply as Memphis, is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a forward for La Liga club Barcelona and the Netherlands national team.
Quick Facts About Memphis Depay:
|Celebrated Name||Memphis Depay|
|Age (As of 2023)||29 Years of 2023|
|Nick Name||De Vis|
|Birth Name||Memphis Depay|
|Nationality||Dutch and Ghanaian|
|Place Of Birth||Moordrecht, Netherlands|
|Awards||2014-15 Eredivisie top scorer, 2014-15 Johan Cruyff Trophy, 2015 France Football Best Young Player and 2016-17 Ligue 1 Goal of the Year, etc.|
|Height||5 ft. 9 inches|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Source of Wealth||Football Career|
|Net Worth||€19.2 Million|
|Links||Facebook Twitter Instagram|
What is Memphis Depay Famous For?
- Being a professional football player.
- Won the 2014-15 Eredivisie with PSV.
- Won the 2011-12 KNVB Cup with PSV.
- Won 2012, Johan Cruyff Shield, with PSV.
- Won the 2011 European Championship with Netherlands U17.
- Won the 2014-15 Eredivisie top scorer.
- Won the 2014-15 Johan Cruyff Trophy.
- Won the 2015 France Football Best Young Player.
- Won the 2016-17 Ligue 1 Goal of the Year.
Where is Memphis Depay From?
Memphis Depay was born on 13 February 1994. His birthplace is Dordrecht, Netherlands. He was born to his Ghanaian father, Dennis Depay, and a Dutch mother, Cora Schensema. It was not long, however, before the relationship between the two parents began to fall apart and when he was four, his father walked out on the family. He holds both Dutch and Ghanaian nationality. He belongs to multiracial ethnicity. His religion is Christianity. His horoscope sign is Aquarius.
Memphis Depay Club Career:
- He started playing football for the youth team of Vv Moordrecht in 2000 and played until 2003.
- In 2003, he joined the youth team of Sparta Rotterdam where he played until 2006.
- In 2006, he then joined the youth team of PSV Eindhoven and began his professional career with the club.
- He made his official debut on 21 September 2011 in an 8-0 away win against amateur side VVSB in a KNVB Cup second-round match. On 18 March 2012, he scored his first league goal in a 5-1 win over Heerenveen. In his first season, he made 20 appearances for the club, scoring 10 goals and providing 3 assists in all the competitions as PSV won the 2011-12 KNVB Cup.
- On 29 June 2012, he signed his first professional contract with PSV, tying himself to Boeren until 2017. On 5 August 2012, he played the final six minutes in a 4-2 win against league champions Ajax in the 2012 Johan Cruyff Shield at the Amsterdam Arena. During his 2012-13 season, he made 40 appearances for the club, scoring 10 goals and providing 9 assists in all the competitions as PSV won the 2012, Johan Cruyff Shield.
- On 30 July 2013, he scored his first goal in European football in a 2-0 win against Zulte Waregem in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League third qualifying round tie. That year, PSV failed to qualify for the group stage of the Champions League. On 27 October 2013, he picked up two second-half yellow cards and was sent off for the first time in his professional career as PSV slumped to a 2-1 defeat against Roda JC. During his 2013-14 season, he made 43 appearances for the club, scoring 14 goals and providing 10 assists in all the competitions as he helped PSV secure a place in European competition for the 41st consecutive year.
- During his 2014-15 season, he was the Eredivisie’s top scorer with 22 goals in 30 games and helped the team win the Eredivisie title for the first time since 2008. In that season, he made 20 appearances for the club, scoring 10 goals and providing 3 assists in all the competitions.
- After playing four seasons for PSV, on 12 June 2015, he joined Premier League club Manchester United for a reported fee of £25 million on a four-year contract with the option to extend for a further year. There he was given the iconic number 7 shirt – previously worn by club legends such as George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, David Beckham, and Cristiano Ronaldo after the departure of Angel Di Maria. He made his Manchester United debut on 17 July 2015 in a pre-season friendly against Club America in Seattle. On 22 July 2015, He scored his first goal for the club in a 3-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes. On 8 August 2015, he made his Premier League debut for the club in a 1-0 victory over Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford. On 18 August 2015, he scored his first two goals for Manchester United in a 3-1 home victory over Club Brugge in the first leg of the Champions League play-offs. In his first season, he made 46 appearances for the club, scoring 7 goals and providing 9 assists in all competitions.
- During his 2016-17 season, due to his poor performances, he was not included in the squad for most of the matches. By the end of the first half of the season, he made 8 appearances for the club in all the competitions.
- After a disappointing spell at Manchester United, he joined French club Lyon on 20 January 2017 and signed a four-and-a-half-year deal with French the club which would tie him to the French club until the summer of 2021. On 22 January 2017, he made his competitive debut for Lyon in a 3-1 win against Olympique de Marseille. On 8 February 2017, he scored his first goal for the club in a 4-0 win against AS Nancy. On 12 March 2017, he scored a goal from nearly the halfway line in a 4-0 win against Toulouse and he later said it was “the goal of his life”, although he also distanced himself from comparisons to Beckham’s famous halfway line goal against Wimbledon in 1996. In his first season, he made 18 appearances for the club, scoring 5 goals and providing 8 assists in all competitions.
- On the final day of the 2017-18 season, he scored a hat-trick against Nice as Lyon won 3-2 and qualified for the next season’s UEFA Champions League. During that season, he made 51 appearances for the club, scoring 22 goals and providing 17 assists in all competitions.
- During his 2018-19 season, he made 47 appearances for the club, scoring 12 goals and providing 16 assists in all competitions.
- During his 2019-20 season, due to his injury, he was kept out of the field for the rest of the season where he ended the season with 15 goals and 2 assists in 22 appearances in all competitions as he helped Lyon eventually reach the semi-finals of 2019-20 UEFA Champions League.
- On 28 August 2020, he scored a hat-trick in a 4-1 win against Dijon in the first match of the 2020-21 season. During that season, he made 40 appearances for the club, scoring 22 goals and providing 12 assists in all competitions.
Memphis Depay International Career
- He has represented the Netherlands at various age levels.
- He has represented the Netherlands at U15, U16, U17, U19, U21, and the senior level.
- He was part of the Netherlands U17 which won the 2011 European Championship.
- He made his national team debut on 15 November 2013 in a 2-0 away win against Turkey at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in World Cup qualification.
- He was part of their squad that came third at the 2014 FIFA World Cup and scored his first international goal on 18 June 2014 in a 2-2 win against Australia where he became the youngest Dutchman to score a goal at the World Cup, at the age of 20 years and four months.
- He was a member of the national setup for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification campaign.
Memphis Depay Girlfriend:
Looking at his personal life, the footballer is focusing on his professional career. He might be dating a beautiful girl at present or might be single. But previously, he was in a relationship with Lori Harvey, the youngest daughter of American television personality Steve Harvey. In June 2017, it was announced on social media that he was engaged to Lori Harvey. Since then, they have ended their engagement and relationship. Any updates on his love life will be updated here.
Memphis Depay Height and Weight:
Memphis Depay stands at a height of 1.76m i.e. 5 feet and 9 inches tall. He has a body weight of 78kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. His sexual orientation is straight.
Memphis Depay Net Worth and Salary
Memphis Depay earns from his professional career as a football player. His income is from contracts, salaries, bonuses, and endorsements. In June 2015, he joined Premier League club Manchester United for a reported fee of £25 million on a four-year contract with the option to extend for a further year. After a disappointing spell at Manchester United, he joined French club Lyon on 20 January 2017 and signed a four-and-a-half-year deal with French the club which would tie him to the French club until the summer of 2021. As of 2021, his estimated net worth is €19.2 million and his salary is £4.5 million. His market value is around €45 million.
Did You Know?
- He started playing football at the age of 6.
- He wears shirt number 10 for Lyon.
- During the 2014-15 season, he was the Eredivisie’s top scorer with 22 goals in 30 games and helped the team win the Eredivisie title for the first time since 2008.
- He was part of the Netherlands U17 which won the 2011 European Championship.
- He was part of their squad that came third at the 2014 FIFA World Cup.