nderbir Singh “Ish” Sodhi is a New Zealand cricketer who represents the New Zealand national team in all formats, and Northern Districts in domestic cricket. He bowls right-arm leg spin, and bats right-handed. He reached the no.1 ranking for T20I bowlers in January 2018, jumping from no.
|Full Name||Inderbir Singh Sodhi|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in Feet Inches- 6’
|International Debut||Test– 9 October 2013 vs Bangladesh in Chittagong
ODI– 2 August 2015 vs Zimbabwe in Harare
T20– 5 July 2014 vs West Indies in Dominica
|Coach/Mentor||Dipak Patel (former New Zealand cricketer)|
|Jersey Number||#61 (New Zealand)|
|Domestic/State Teams||Northern Knights, Adelaide Strikers|
|Bowling Style||Right-arm legbreak|
|Batting Style||Right Handed Bat|
|Nature on field||Cool|
|Records/Achievements (main ones)||• In the 2016-17 edition of Big Bash League, while playing for the Adelaide Strikers, Sodhi clinched magnificent bowling figures of 6/11 from 3.3 overs in a match against the Sydney Thunder. Notably, Sodhi’s 6/11 are the second best bowling figures in the Big Bash history after Lasith Malinga’s 6/7.
• In a match against Pakistan in 2014, Sodhi scored 63 with the bat thus recording the best batting figure ever by a New Zealand No. 10 batsman in Test cricket.
|Career Turning Point||Sodhi’s consistent performances at the domestic circuit helped him get an early call-up for New Zealand ‘A’ squad.|
|Date of Birth||31 October 1992 (Saturday)|
|Age (As of 2023)||30 Years of 2023|
|Birthplace||Ludhiana, Punjab, India|
|Hometown||Auckland, New Zealand|
|School||Papatoetoe High School, Auckland, New Zealand|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Family||Father– Rajbir Singh Sodhi (Doctor)
Mother– Simrat Sodhi (Teacher)
Brother– Not Known
Sister– Not Known
|Hobbies||Watching movies, playing Basketball|
|Favourite Film||The Notebook (2004)|
|Favourite Cricketers||Daniel Vettori, Anil Kumble|
|Favourite Cricket Ground||Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG), Australia|
|Favourite Dance Move||The Running Man|
|Girls, Family & More|
|Marriage Date||23 September 2019|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ish Sodhi
- Does Ish Sodhi smoke: Not Known
- Does Ish Sodhi drink alcohol: Yes
- Sodhi’s family migrated to Auckland from Ludhiana, Punjab in the year 1996. He was only 4 years old at that time.
- As a child, Sodhi bowled right-arm fast-medium. However, at his mentor’s (Dipak Patel) behest, he switched to leg-break.
- Sodhi was rated No. 2 at his high school club, Papatoetoe.
- As of February 27, 2017, he has 5-five wicket hauls to his name in 45 first-class matches played so far.
- Although a number of Indian-origin cricketers like Dipak Patel, Jeetan Patel, and Tarun Nethula have played for the Black Caps, Sodhi is so far the only Kiwi player to have been born on Indian soil!