Huma Mahmood Abedin is an American political staffer who was vice chair of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign for President of the United States. Before that, Abedin was deputy chief of staff to Clinton when she was U.S. Secretary of State from 2009 to 2013.
|Celebrated Name||Huma Abedin|
|Age||46 Years of 2023|
|Birth Name||Huma Mahmood Abedin|
|Place Of Birth||Kalamazoo, Michigan|
|Birth Nation||United States|
|Famous For||Longtime advisor of Hillary Clinton|
|Father||Syed Zainul Abedin|
|Mother||Saleha Mahmood Abedin|
|Ethnicity||South Asian (Indian+Pakistani)|
|Home Town||Jeddah, Saudi Arabia|
|University||George Washington University|
|Education||Bachelor of Arts degree as a journalism major with a minor in political science|
|Husband||Anthony Weiner (Ex)|
|Married Date||From 2010 to 2016 (Divorced in 2018)|
|Residence||New York City|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||126 lbs (57 kg)|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Source of Wealth||Salary|
|Net Worth||Around $4 million|
What is Huma Abedin Famous For?
- Longtime Hillary Clinton’s political aide.
Where is Huma Abedin From?
Huma Abedin was born on 28 July 1976. Her birth name is Huma Mahmood Abedin. Her birthplace is Kalamazoo, Michigan in the United States. She holds an American nationality. She was born to her father, Syed Zainul Abedin, and her mother, Saleha Mahmood Abedin. She has two siblings, a brother named Hassan, and a sister named Heba. She has Indian and Pakistani ancestry. Her family moved to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia when she was only two years old. Her hometown is Jeddah, where she grew up. She belongs to South Asian ethnicity and her religion is Islam. Her zodiac sign is Leo. She frequently traveled during her childhood and attended a British girls’ school. She returned to the United States for her college education.
With the aim of becoming a journalist, Abedin enrolled at George Washington University at the age of 18. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree as a journalism major with a minor in political science.
Huma Abedin Career
- Huma Abedin interned in the White House in 1996, while she was a George Washington student. She was assigned to then-First Lady, Hillary Clinton. She served as the backup to Clinton’s personal aide.
- She served as the assistant editor of the Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs from 1996 to 2008.
- She officially became Clinton’s aide and personal advisor during Clinton’s successful 2000 U.S. Senate campaign in New York.
- She worked as traveling chief of staff and “body woman” during Clinton’s unsuccessful campaign for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination.
- She became the deputy chief of staff to Clinton in 2009.
- Clinton served as the US Secretary of State from 2009 to 2013.
- Abedin left her position as Clinton’s deputy chief of staff in 2012 and became a special Government employee.
- She did consultant work for a strategic consulting firm, Teneo.
- She held four jobs from June 2012 to February 2013.
- Five Republican members of Congress, Michele Bachmann, Trent Franks, Louie Gohmert, Thomas J. Rooney, and Lynn Westmoreland sent a letter to the State Department Inspector General in June 2012 claiming that Abedin “has three family members—her late father, her mother, and her brother—connected to Muslim Brotherhood operatives and/or organizations.” The letter was criticized by several politicians.
- She started a private consulting firm, Zain Endeavors LLC in 2013.
- She served as a paid consultant to the Clinton Foundation.
- She served as director of the transition team that helped Clinton to private life.
- She served as vice-chairperson for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign. She also continued to serve as Clinton’s personal assistant.
- After Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump proposed banning Muslims from entering the United States, she wrote an email to Clinton supporters calling herself “a proud Muslim” and criticized Trump’s plan as “literally (writing) racism into our law books”.
- Emails by Abedin became part of the FBI investigation and the controversy in 2015 concerning Hillary Clinton’s private email account while Secretary of State. It resulted in various allegations by Republicans of violations of State Department regulations.
- She testified in a closed session before the House Select Committee on Benghazi in October 2015, in a session that was expected to focus on the 2012 Benghazi attack during which Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed.
- She cooperated with the Anthony Weiner investigation who allegedly sent illicit text messages to a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina.
- Her memoir, Both/And: A Life in Many Worlds will be published in November 2021.
- She revealed in 2021 that she was sexually assaulted by a US Senator in the past. She stated that she was assaulted when she was working in the Clinton office around the time Clinton was serving as the US Senator. However, she has not revealed the identity of the perpetrator.
Who is Huma Abedin’s Husband?
Huma Abedin married Anthony Weiner in July 2010. Weiner was then-US Representative. Former US President Bill Clinton officiated their wedding. She gave birth to their first child, a son named Jordan Zain Weiner in 2011. The couple separated in August 2016 in light of Weiner’s sexting allegations. The couple finalized their divorced in 2018.
She lives in New York City.
How Tall Is Huma Abedin?
Huma Abedin stands at the height of 1.75 m i.e. 5 feet and 9 inches tall. She has a bodyweight of around 126 lbs i.e. 57 kg. She has a slim body build. Her eye color is dark brown and her hair color is black. Her sexual orientation is straight.
What is Huma Abedin’s Net Worth?
Since the completion of her education, Huma Abedin has been working as a political aide her entire career. She has been an aide to Hillary Clinton since the start of her career. She is paid a very handsome salary for her service. In the early 2010s, she held four jobs. She started her own consulting firm, Zain Endeavors LLC in 2013. At present, her net worth is estimated at around $4 million. More details about her wealth and salary will be updated here.