Gauri Lankesh was an Indian journalist-turned-activist from Bangalore, Karnataka. She worked as an editor in Lankesh Patrike, a Kannada weekly started by her father P. Lankesh, and ran her own weekly called Gauri Lankesh Patrike. She was assassinated outside her home in Rajarajeshwari Nagar on 5 September 2017.
|Real Name||Gauri Lankesh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height||in centimeters– 153 cm
in meters– 1.52 m
in feet inches– 5’ ½”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 50 kg
in pounds– 110 lbs
|Eye Colour||Light Brown|
|Date of Birth||29 January 1962|
|Birth Place||Bengaluru, Karnataka, India|
|Date of Death||5 September 2017|
|Place of Death||Outside her residence in Ideal Homes colony, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Bengaluru|
|Age (at the time of death)||55 Years|
|Death Cause||Murder (Shot)|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Aquarius|
|Hometown||Bengaluru, Karnataka, India|
|College||Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi|
|Family||Father– Late Paalyada Lankesh (Litterateur, Poet, and Filmmaker)
Mother– Indira Lankesh (Businesswomen)
Brother– Inderjit Lankesh (Younger, Filmmaker)
Sister– Kavitha Lankesh (Younger, Filmmaker)
|Caste||Lingayat (Backward Classes – BC)|
|Address||Ideal Homes colony in Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Bengaluru|
|Controversies||In November 2016, she was found guilty of defamation in a case involving BJP MP Prahlad Joshi and had been sentenced to 6 months in jail and received bail the same day.|
|Favourite Food||Grilled chicken|
|Favourite Actor||Mahesh Babu|
|Favourite Actress||Harshika Poonacha|
|Favourite Films||Bollywood– Omkara
Hollywood– Citizen Kane
|Favourite TV Show||Boston Legal|
|Favourite Books||The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee|
|Favourite Writers||Vaidehi, Lalitha Nayak, Banu Ustad|
|Favourite Journalist||Shivam Vij|
|Favourite Politicians||Rahul Gandhi, Jayaprakash Hegde, Justin Trudeau|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Husband/Spouse||Chidanand Rajghatta (Ex-husband – Columnist)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gauri Lankesh
- Did Gauri Lankesh smoke?: Yes
- Did Gauri Lankesh drink alcohol?: Yes
- Gauri was born into a family of renowned journalists and media publishers.
- Her father was a well-known litterateur, poet, and filmmaker whose weekly ‘Lankesh Patrike’ broke major political scandals that rocked governments.
- She wanted to be a doctor, but it didn’t happen, so she decided to become a journalist.
- She was married before 1980 to her collage friend, Chidanand Rajghatta, but the couple got divorced later. However, they remained friend post their divorce.
- She started her career as a journalist with a stint at the Times of India, Bengaluru.
- After the demise of her father in 2000 due to ‘heart attack’, she stepped into her father’s shoes as chief editor.
- Before working in his father’s weekly, she was working for Eenadu’s Telugu television channel in Delhi.
- She was the supporter of political parties, such as – Indian National Congress (INR) and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
- Like her father, she was known for her secular, anti-caste and anti-Hindutva views.
- In 2005, she opened her own weekly called ‘Gauri Lankesh Patrike.’
- On 5 September 2017, at around 8.00 pm, she was shot by 3 assailants when she was entering her house in Bengaluru’s Ideal Homes colony in Rajarajeshwari Nagar.