Lokuge Dinesh Chandimal is a professional Sri Lankan cricketer who captained the Sri Lanka national cricket team. A handy and agile right-handed batsman who sometimes plays as the wicket-keeper middle-order
batsman, Chandimal was the first captain to lead Sri Lanka in their first day-night Test match.
|Full Name||Lokuge Dinesh Chandimal|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 175 cm
in meters– 1.75 m
in feet inches– 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 70 kg
in pounds– 154 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||– Chest: 40 inches
– Waist: 30 inches
– Biceps: 14 inches
|International Debut||ODI– 1 June 2010 against Zimbabwe at Queens Sports Club, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe
Test– 26 December 2011 against South Africa at Kingsmead, South Africa
T20– 30 April 2010 against New Zealand at Providence Stadium, Guyana
|Jersey Number||#36 (Sri Lanka)
|Domestic/State Teams||Nondescripts Cricket Club (2009-Present)
Rajasthan Royals (2012)
Chittagong Vikings (2017)
|Favourite Shots||Cover-Drive and Pull-Shot|
|Records (main ones)||• In 2009, he captained his school team and scored 1,580 runs beside leading his school side to 13 consecutive victories. It was the first time in Sri Lankan school history that someone had crossed the 1,000 run mark with the bat as well as captained his side so successfully and won the Schoolboy Cricketer of the Year Award.
• Having scored a century against India in 2010 in Harare, Dinesh became the youngest Sri Lankan to score a ton.
• In 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup against Australia in Sydney, he scored 50 off 22 balls; this was the fastest fifty by a Sri Lankan batsman in Cricket World Cup history.
|Career Turning Point||His maiden ODI Ton against India in Harare fixed him in National Team.|
|Date of Birth||18 November 1989|
|Age (As of 2023)||34 Years of 2023|
|Birthplace||Balapitiya, Sri Lanka|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Hometown||Balapitiya, Sri Lanka|
|College/University||Dharmasoka College, Ambalangoda|
|Hobbies||Listening to Music, Watching Movies, Traveling|
|Controversy||In June 2018, while playing against West Indies, Chandimal was charged with ball-tampering by ICC. Later, he denied tampering with the ball by using a sweet in his pocket in place of applying the artificial substance to the ball.|
|Girls, Affairs & More|
|Marriage Date||1 May 2015|
|Parents||Father– Name not known
Mother– Name not known
|Favourite Cricketer||Sanath Jayasuriya|
|Favourite Foods||Coconut Sambal, Fried Dry Anchovy Sprats, Fish, Steamed Jackfruit|
|Salary (approx.)||$125,000 a year (as in 2016)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dinesh Chandimal
- Does Dinesh Chandimal smoke?: Not Known
- Does Dinesh Chandimal drink alcohol?: Not Known
- On 26 December 2004, when Chandimal was just 14, his Balapitiya house was devastated by the Indian Ocean Tsunami tragedy.
- Chandimal still goes to Balapitiya often to memorize the tragic incident which devastated his family.
- When he was in his teens, he began his cricket career in school.
- In 2008, Chandimal was appointed the captain of the school’s first eleven, which he led in 13 outright wins in a season.
- During the 2012 Indian Premier League (IPL) auction, Rajasthan Royals bought him for $50,000 but, he did not show up in any match.
- In March 2018, Chandimal was named as the captain of the Colombo squad for the Super Four Provincial Tournament.
- Chandimal holds the joint record for taking the most number of catches in a single T20I as a fielder (4) along with Ajinkya Rahane, Darren Sammy, Corey Anderson, Peter Borren, and Babar Hayat.