David Lee Roth (born October 10, 1954) is an American rock singer. Best known for his wild, energetic stage persona, he was the original lead vocalist of the hard rock band Van Halen across three stints, from 1974 to 1985, in 1996 and again from 2006 to their disbandment in 2020. He was also known as a successful solo artist, releasing numerous RIAA-certified Gold and Platinum albums. After more than two decades apart, Roth re-joined Van Halen in 2006 for a North American tour that became the highest-grossing in the band’s history and one of the highest-grossing of that year. In 2012, Roth and Van Halen released the comeback album A Different Kind of Truth. In 2007, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Van Halen.
|Celebrated Name||David Lee Roth|
|Age (As of 2023)||68 Years of 2023|
|Nick Name||Diamond Dave|
|Birth Name||David Lee Roth|
|Profession||Singer and Songwriter|
|Place Of Birth||Bloomington, Indiana|
|Sisters||2; Lisa Roth and Allison Roth|
|School||The Webb Schools in Claremont, California|
|High School||John Muir High School|
|Net Worth||$60 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Music Industry|
|Height||1.83 m or 6 ft 2 in|
|Hair Color||Salt and Pepper|
Where is David Lee Roth From? Know About His Family, Age, Education
David Lee Roth was born on 10th October 1954 in Bloomington, Indiana, the USA. For the most part, Roth grew up in New Castle, Indiana. In a 2019 interview with Q95’s “Stuck and Gunner,” he explained: “My grandparents moved to New Castle in 1913. It’s in the sense of humor, the ‘get it done and how we do get it done approach work ethic of Van Halen, frankly. It’s a Midwest approach, not some flakey Hollywood horse manure.” He also briefly lived in Swampscott, Massachusetts. In his teens, they relocated to Pasadena, California. He holds American nationality and his ethnic background is American-White. His race is White. He celebrated his 66th birthday as of 2020. About his parents, he was born to his father, Nathan Lee, an ophthalmologist, and his mother, Sibyl Roth, a teacher. In addition, he also has two siblings; two sisters and one of her sister’s name is Lisa Roth, creator of the Rockabye Baby lullaby music series and his other sister’s name is Allison Roth. The family is of Jewish heritage. Thus, he follows the Judaism religion. From an early age, Roth had an interest in art, especially film and radio, and said his first music idol was Al Jolson. As per his birthdate, his Zodiac sign is Libra. His parents had their son, prone to daily bouts of hyperactivity dubbed “monkey time”, see a psychiatrist for three years, as well as attend a horse ranch for troubled teens, to build a sense of responsibility.
About her education, David Lee Roth attended The Webb Schools in Claremont, California, and John Muir High School in Pasadena. While attending Pasadena City College, he met the Van Halen brothers, Eddie and Alex. At that time, he worked as a hospital orderly.
David Lee Roth Career Timeline
- David Lee Roth started singing solo during his late teens as well as with an R&B-tinged rock group called the Red Ball Jets.
- Then, he joined the Los Angeles group “Mammoth” as a lead singer in 1974. “Mammoth” officially changed its name to Van Helen.
- The group’s debut album “Van Halen” was recorded at Sunset Sound Recorders which was released in 1978. The album reached number 19 on the Billboard 200 and eventually sold more than 12 million copies by 2014, certified Diamond by the RIAA.
- The original Van Halen then recorded four more platinum albums over the next five years.
- Their sixth album was entitled “1984” which was their first and only #1 LP.
- In early 1985, Roth released “Crazy from the Heat”, an eclectic, solo EP of off-beat pop standards.
- Then, he was fired suddenly by the Van Halen brothers. Some months before Roth’s departure, Noel Monk, their manager of seven years, speculated that (Roth) was testing the waters for a potential separate, solo career. According to Monk, Roth formally parted ways with his Van Halen bandmates in August 1985 (although an urban legend persists that it was April 1, April Fool’s Day), taking with him 60 Van Halen employees, including VH Head of Security, Ed Andersen.
- He shortly reunited with Van Halen in June 1996 and recorded two new songs for Van Halen’s Best Of – Volume I, “Can’t Get This Stuff No More” and “Me Wise Magic”.
- He then wished to record a solo EP as well as shoot a film in early 1985. The film, “Crazy From The Heat” was budgeted at $20 million by CBS Films.
- He then assembled a virtuoso supergroup, consisting of guitarist Steve Vai (previously of Frank Zappa’s band), bassist Billy Sheehan (previously of Talas), and drummer Gregg Bissonette (previously of Maynard Ferguson’s big band).
- He also released his debut solo LP, “Eat ‘Em and Smile” in July 1986.
- Next, he released the album “Skyscraper”, the second full-length studio album by David Lee Roth, released during his solo career after his departure as the original lead vocalist from Van Halen. It was released on 26th January 1988 on Warner Bros. Records.
- Following the tour for Skyscraper, Vai left Roth’s band to pursue a solo career and record and tour with Whitesnake.
- He then recorded his third solo LP, A Little Ain’t Enough in 1991.
- The album “A Little Ain’t Enough” achieved RIAA gold status shortly after its January 1991 release.
- In addition, he released “Your Filthy Little Mouth”, a musically eclectic album produced by Nile Rodgers in March 1994. A remastered “Your Filthy Little Mouth” was released in 2007.
- He also has written an autobiography book titled “Crazy From The Heat” in the year 1997.
- In the year 1998, he released “DLR Band”, another album of self-penned solo material which featured a popular song, “Slam Dunk”.
- Also, he went on to record a “Song of Love” for 9-year-old Ashley Abernathy who was battling leukemia in 1999.
- In the year 2003, he released an album called “Diamond Dave”, which included one self-penned John 5 collaboration among numerous cover songs.
- After a year, he was seen on the TV series “The Sopranos”.
- Moreover, he appeared on three tracks of an album titled “Strummin’ with the Devil” in the year 2006.
- He completed another full-length album of new material with John 5 on guitar in the year 2012.
- Roth also confirmed in October 2019 that the album will soon be released now that he can start making “real plans” without Van Halen.
- In addition, he went on an American tour with the band “Kiss”. In December 2019 it was reported that David Lee Roth would be the opening act for KISS for 43 dates on their “End of the Road Tour” whereas the tour was postponed due to COVID-19. Later, in August 2020, the band “Kiss” announced on their website that the tour would commence with Dave and his band opening on some dates. By August 2021, the band dropped Roth from their tour, with bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons.
- Van Halen disbanded after Eddie’s death from cancer on October 6, 2020. He paid tribute to his late bandmate, Eddie Van Halen, by sharing his track “Somewhere Over the Rainbow Bar and Grill” in October 2020.
- He also announced his intentions to retire in October 2021 from performing following a final residency set at the House of Blues Las Vegas at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas from December to January 2022.
Does David Lee Roth Have a Wife?
David Lee Roth has not been married yet. Currently, he is not dating anyone and he is in a relationship. Thus, he is assumed to be single as of now. During a 2013 interview, he said he had four great loves in his life, but would not name them out of respect for their privacy. He said during the 20 years of Van Halen, he “slept with every pretty girl with two legs”.
David Lee Roth Net Worth: How rich is David Lee?
David Lee Roth is a singer, songwriter, musician, and former radio personality whose net worth is believed to have $60 Million as of 2021. He made this fortune through the music industry which is his major source of wealth and he is making a salary of millions of dollars.
David Lee Roth Height and Weight
David Lee Roth is a cool personality man with a height of 1.83 m or 6 ft 2 in and his body weight consist of 76 Kg. His body type is slim. Back in the year 2018, Roth along with business partner and tattoo artist Ami James created ‘INK the Original’, a full line of skincare products that protect tattooed skin. He spent more than 300 hours getting tattooed in Japan between 2013 and 2014 and saw the body art market expand. He has a pair of blue eyes and his hair color is salt and pepper. Roth has got a healthy body at present.